Day 12: Crocheted Drum Ornaments
These adorable little ornaments are sure to drum up some smiles—they’re fun to make, and they’ll add a little sparkle to your tree.
- Size F/3.75mm Crochet Hook
- 1 Pair of 9mm Black Safety Eyes
- Black Embroidery Floss & Embroidery Needle
- Size 5mm Gold Sequins
- Gold Embroidery Floss
- 1 Pipe Cleaner
- 2 Small Circles of Cardboard
- Hot Glue Gun
- Yarn Needle
- Straight Pins
Note: for more detailed instructions on how to crochet, visit the A Menagerie of Stitches blog post.
- Using tan and red yarn, stitch the body of the drum.
- Add safety eyes between rounds 8 and 9, about four stitches apart. Sew on mouth with black embroidery floss.
- Cut two small circles out of cardboard the same size as the top of the drum. Place one circle into the drum to give the top structure.
- Add fiberfill inside the drum and insert the second piece of cardboard.
- Stitch up the bottom of the drum, fasten it off and leave a tail to close the piece.
- Stitch two strips of gray yarn, making sure the length fits around the drum evenly.
- Glue the strips of gray yarn on either side of the drum, then weave both tails into the drum and secure in place with a knot.
- Using one strand of 12-14-inch-long gold embroidery floss, create slanted lines along the outside of the drum. Continue going from top to bottom until you reach the end. With another strand of floss, repeat the steps going in the other direction, making a triangle design.
- Place a very small dot of glue where the triangle points meet and place a gold sequin on the glue.
- Stitch two drumsticks out of tan yarn around a piece of pipe cleaner.
- Attach the drumsticks to the top of the drum with glue.
Tips & Tricks
- Don’t overdo it with the glue—remember to apply VERY small dots at a time.
- Turn one little drum into an ornament or make 12 and string them into a garland!